As an employer you must provide a safe and healthy workplace for your workers and contractors. This includes:
- Providing safe premises
- Maintaining machinery and materials
- Having safe systems at work (such as controlling entry to high risk areas)
- Providing information, instruction, training and supervision of employees to ensure they work in a safe and healthy manner
- Having a suitable working environment (ensuring fire exits are not blocked. worksite is tidy, etc)
- Providing adequate facilities (clean toilets, clean drinking water and hygienic eating areas).
If you do not comply with these legal requirements you can be prosecuted and fined.
To find out your specific obligations go to the occupational health and safety area at www.business.gov.au. There you will find a step-by-step: Workplace Safety guide.